Otsi siit blogist

11/20/2014

Love for the nature and environment

YFU Estonia offers its participants a variety of special programmes: music, theatre, film, art and nature programmes. Our exchange student Jasmin from Germany who is currently enrolling in our nature program agreed to share her motivation and experience with us.

Hello, my name is Jasmin. I’m a 16 year old girl from Germany on her exchange in Estonia. In my free time I like to occupy myself with everything that is about nature and environment. Also, I like to spend time in the nature.

Before I came to know about the programme YFU is offering, I felt that I wanted to take part in a youth group who tries to protect the environment because to my mind everything you do in a group gets more attention than doing something on your own. It’s also more fun.

When I applied for the exchange year I was really curious about the nature programme. I had heard about the great nature of Estonia before, so I decided to take part in the programme to get to know the country from the environmental side as well because I think it is an important part of the culture, just as language, food or music.

You may ask what we are doing in this nature programme. We have a trip once in a month to really cool places all around in Estonia and we also have the chance to take part in a youth group that take place in the our hometowns.

On our first trip we planned to go to an island and spending the night in a wooden house somewhere in a forest. Sadly, we had to change the plan because of he windy weather but it wasn’t hard to find a new place where we could stay and spend some time. As I said: Estonia is full of beautiful, interesting places!
In the end we found a really cool spot at a lake near to the moor, where we walked through and learned some helpful facts about it. On the next day, we took out the boat and had a little tour around the lake and when we got out of the boat and went to the forest,  the volunteers taught us Estonian by telling the terms of the things we found.

The second trip was about birds and bird migration. We went to a famous bird station in the south of Estonia and had to help them with their work. It is the most impressive thing to have a little bird in your hand, who’s moving all the time while you have to ring it. One time we also caught a rare sort! But the real challenge was to get the birds out oft he huge nets or to catch them. We made funny noises while running around trying to catch them. I think it must have sounded and looked very strange to the tourists.

What I like about the trips is that everything seems to be so familiar. We are just a little group this year but that is even better and I enjoy the time with my friends and the volunteers.

I am also going to a youth group every week. It’s in the zoo and we are mostly talking about animals but also about environment and we will get to work with microscopes as well. I had to choose between quite a lot of groups but I decided to take this one because I think learning something about animals next to animals is so cool.

Through the programme I have already met cool people, learned interesting facts about nature and environment and I'm really excited to find more beautiful places.


Jasmine from Germany (exchange year 2014-2015)