Otsi siit blogist

1/29/2015

In love with music

Tere!

My name is Karl, I am from Germany, 17 years old and I chose the YFU music program for my exchange year here in Estonia.


Why did I choose this program?

First of all: I love music. Music has always made up a big part in my life and that is one of the reasons I chose this program.
The second reason is that I have been playing the trumpet since I was 8 years old and I didn’t want to stop it during my exchange year, I also wanted to improve my instrumental skills during my exchange.

What does this program offer you?

This is actually very different and depends on where you live and which school you are going to visit. You can either attend a normal High School in the morning and visit an extra music school in the afternoon or you visit one of the three music High Schools in Estonia (two in Tallinn, one in Tartu).
Fortunately I am able to visit one of Estonia’s three music High Schools in Tartu, the “Heino Elleri Nimeline Tartu Muusikakool”. There you have normal subjects like Math, English, History, Physics, etc. and of course musical subjects like your main Instrument, Piano, Solfeggio, Music History and if necessary additional singing lessons. The subjects are may be different, depending on your school and individual situation.
Important for me is that I have my main instrument three times a week for 45 minutes. This is much more than in Germany and enables a better and faster learning.
You will probably also take part in ensembles that your school offers, like different orchestras, choirs, etc. depending on your instrument.

Is a certain skill level needed?

This question is not easy to answer. First of all, you have to send a sample of your playing to YFU and they will check out, if it is enough. So don’t be afraid, just give it a try, I think they will find the right place for every level.
In my own opinion it is necessary to have certain skills (by this, I mean at least an intermediate skill level) because then you can enjoy your year much more, you can compete in one of the many contests and play in every ensemble you want.
Estonia’s culture is very strong influenced and connected to music. That’s why they have a very high level in this special field. This should absolutely not scare you. It is a perfect environment to learn more than you ever did.
 
Estonian composer Arvo Pärt
All in all this program is great for anybody who has a strong relation to music and wants to improve his musical skills and learn more about music. Estonia is a great country and offers unique possibilities to get in touch with very talented and also famous musicians. It is possible in such a small country because the star instrumentalist of the national orchestra might be your teacher. The Estonian music scene is very strong connected and allows you to get in touch with very exciting persons.
I really hope I could give you a short impression of this program.
Maybe you will see everything what I wrote down in a few years by your own.

All the best.
Karl

14/15 Estonia