Otsi siit blogist

3/26/2015

Art Program in Tartu


YFU Estonia’s art program is one of the many special programs open to exchange students who are interested in coming here. We asked Pia-Joy to tell us about her experiences so far at an Estonian art school in Tartu:



„Right now I am in Estonia at one of the art schools. I opted for the art program because I really wanted to do more with art than was possible for me in Germany. And from day one I absolutely loved it! Even though I understood absolutely nothing at the beginning... The first day was unbelievably thrilling and just completely different! After the first greeting ceremony we went with our teacher to a big room where they told us all of the organizational things, and after that we went to the library and everyone from the different courses got to know one another. It probably seems complicated that we were with our class first then in our courses- there is one class per grade then the different profile courses.





But to the point:


The lessons are also completely different! We don’t all have normal subjects, only those that we need for our profiles and then the art courses. For example, in the first half of the year aside from Math, English, Geometry (yep! This was its own course) Estonian, and sometimes Physics, I had the art classes Painting, Drawing, Composition, and Computers & Graphics. During the second half of the year Sculpturing, Portfolio, Photography, and Photo Editing were added to my schedule. My absolute favorite subject is drawing because every class I can see myself improving; it’s so much fun to draw very detailed still-lifes and people and its just amazing to see the improvements over the past few months. Up until now we’ve drawn with coal and pencil, so it’s a very diverse. But the other art subjects are also great! In painting its more unrealistic and colorful- a dull week turns into a colorful week- and on the computer we take things like a normal booth and turn it into an ad for pineapple.







Even the general atmosphere of the school is different. The school is really small, about 150 students, and a very friendly relationship exists between the teachers and the students. It isn’t such an anonymous and distant environment.All in all I’ve felt at home here since the very first day and I don’t want to go back to a normal German school. I think if I could, I would stay here and finish school.”